Lifestyle, University

How to: Self-brand

Self-branding isn’t just about making yourself stand out, it also has many other points to consider on how to make yourself the perfect ‘product’. I’m not saying this post will tell you how to turn into a pair of heels, I want to try to help you get recognised for who you are.

Self-branding = Standing out from the crowd + how you are perceived by others

Personal branding (aka self-branding) involves standing out from the crowd, but also how you’re perceived. What people think of you plays a huge role if self-branding. You could have an amazing CV, tons of work experience and may even have won awards, but if someone somewhere thinks you’re difficult to work with, or you were given a stiff reference somewhere down the line, that screws everything right up. Perception sticks in everyone’s mind, once you have a hint of opinion on someone, or something they do, changing your mind will be difficult because that initial perception will always be there.

Point to takeaway from what I’ve just said, make yourself stand out on paper and give a good impression before walking into the room.

How do I brand myself?

Understand your skills and experiences. Figure out how they can be used in one role, then another, then another. Jump from hospitality roles, to financial roles, to healthcare roles.

Imagine yourself as a teacher, do your skills and experience make you teacher of the year?

Now imagine yourself as a bar attendant, how will your work experience in a nursery 7 years ago help you serve customers quickly and efficiently?

Finally, imagine yourself as a TV host, how is volunteering at the homeless shelter going to entertain the audience?

Understanding your skills and how to apply them in different scenarios will help get you ahead of the game. Understand your strengths, utilise them in every way you can. Your experience as a sales assistant will help you as an accountant because you’ll have experience in liaising (no one wants to work all throughout the Christmas and you may have liaised with your manager to work fewer hours).

Weaknesses are just as important as strengths. Use your weakness to your advantage. I don’t mean throw a pity party and beg for the job, no, just no. Don’t even try. I mean turn it around. If you take ages to complete a task, this might be because you’re a perfectionist who has to make sure that the task is exceptionally completed before moving on. If you find yourself to be chatting more than you should, this can show you’re a people person and, building and maintaining customer relations is a piece of cake for you. Are you addicted to twitter? Fantastic, you’re a social media expert, you understand how it works from a customer’s point of view and you’ll be perfect to handle that department. Get where I’m going with this?

Offer others what they’re looking for. Be mouldable (I think that’s a word?). An example I was given in University was to be like plasticine. Shape yourself to fulfil the needs of prospective employers. Research what companies want. Find things that match your skill set and experience and enhance it. Will you fit into the company culture? Why should a company hire you? What is the main reason you want to work for said company? It’s all about selling yourself (not literally, that’s kinda illegal!) and making that perfect impression.

“Privacy is dead, and social media hold the smoking gun.” – Pete Cashmore, Mashable CEO

Are you on Twitter? So am I! (why not give me a follow here!)

Do you rant when you miss your train? Have you shared your opinion on a news article that may have been a tad harsh? Do you swear twice in your 140 character limit?

You may want to check and monitor how you use your account.

Not just twitter, but Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and all other social medias. If you’ve said anything online that could be deemed inappropriate, find it, and delete it. And, don’t do it again. (Feel free to give me a follow on them too guys)

Last Friday night did you drink a tad too much? Did your friend post a super unattractive photo of you on Facebook, tag you in it, and comment on how plastered you got that you had to miss work the next day?

Ring any bells? Yeah, go delete that. I’ll wait.

Delete everything that’s bad. Pictures of you smoking a cigarette at 12 on myspace. Sexist comments from the days you didn’t know any better. The paragraph you wrote in your status about how much of a d**k your teacher was being for giving you detention in year 8. Delete it.

I liked the example I was taught. Use dinner table rules on social media. Keep it nice, and avoid religion and politics. That doesn’t mean you can’t state what you believe in, and that definitely doesn’t mean you can’t post a silly picture of your best friend on her 21st. It just means that you need to remember once you post something online, anyone can see it. Employers can see it. Employees of them employers can see it. If you’re on social media, aspects of your life are open to the public.

But, it’s not all bad. Interacting with employers and organisations, giving your opinion in a professional manner and keeping up to date with the news shows your interest and capabilities. That article that X company tweeted was in interesting? Let them know! Have questions? ASK! (Keep it professional!) Create a good online image and you’re another step ahead.

This has become quite a long post, so I’m going to stop it here.

Hope this helps.

Lots of love,

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

30 Comments

• Reply Mira

Such a great post about branding. Social media is a great way to share opinions but have to be mindful of how we say things that can affect our personal brand especially things we said when we were younger.

October 10, 2017 at 4:25 pm
  • Reply Amber Bradshaw

Very insightful- thanks for sharing your ‘opinion’. PS- I like giving mine a lot too 🙂

October 10, 2017 at 4:39 pm
  • Reply Ann

Wonderful advice. And it’s all true. More folks need to stick to dinner table manners on social media. I operate a daycare, and I do search applicant’s social media profiles. Maybe I shouldn’t, but eventually a client will end up looking up employees on Facebook, for example. If there’s remarks made that probably shouldn’t be made public, or incriminating pictures, that client is going to then wonder what’s going on at daycare while they are away at work. Branding yourself is VERY important!!!

October 10, 2017 at 4:59 pm
    • Reply mevstheodds

I agree! Things like this need to be taught earlier so it doesn’t come and bite someone later on in life

October 12, 2017 at 3:57 pm
  • Reply sophia tranter

This is so useful to read so thank you for sharing!

Sophia xo https://sophiaaaxo.com

October 10, 2017 at 7:32 pm
  • Reply Brittany ~ www.followthedyers.com

Such a helpful read!

October 10, 2017 at 9:42 pm
  • Reply Belinda

Some really great tips in here. Thank you for sharing. I wish more people would read, take on board, and operate the self-editing of their comments on social media. It is becoming so common for employers to check social media accounts of prospective employees prior to employing them.

October 10, 2017 at 10:44 pm
    • Reply mevstheodds

I understand why employers check it too, you get to see what a person is like through their online profiles

October 12, 2017 at 3:57 pm
  • Reply tachira wiltshire

I have given up my ranting days and cleaned up my social media as you say nothing is really private anymore . A great article for those looking into starting a small business or who want to build their personal brand

October 10, 2017 at 11:11 pm
    • Reply mevstheodds

It really is true, you hear so many stories about employees getting sacked because of something they said online.

October 12, 2017 at 3:56 pm
  • Reply Toni

I like your rule for using dinner-time rules for social media. If you don’t discuss politics, sex, and other issues at the dinner table, then don’t discuss it there either. Too many people let it all out online and it just isn’t a good thing. Thanks!

October 10, 2017 at 11:40 pm
    • Reply mevstheodds

I really liked that rule too aha

October 12, 2017 at 3:56 pm
  • Reply jen

So many great and useful tips!
    xo
    jen
    effortlesseverydaystyle.com

October 11, 2017 at 12:20 am
  • Reply Jaq

I agree with what you said, that’s why I’m careful with the stuff I write online. It’ll come back to bite me in the future. Thanks for sharing! More people need to know this.

October 11, 2017 at 7:47 am
    • Reply mevstheodds

It definitely will! I feel its something that needs to be shared more because of its importance

October 12, 2017 at 3:55 pm
  • Reply zahra

Really informative. Sharing it.

October 11, 2017 at 9:12 am
  • Reply Shawn Jones

You have provided some awesome advice. Branding is very important in business and in your personal life. I really like how you touched on how to brand yourself on social media. Keep up the good work.

October 11, 2017 at 3:17 pm
    • Reply mevstheodds

Glad you liked it x

October 12, 2017 at 3:55 pm
  • Reply Laura

Good pointers and a good read, thanks!

October 11, 2017 at 4:10 pm
  • Reply Lindsay Turner

Really great tips!

October 11, 2017 at 8:23 pm
  • Reply Amanda Brantley

This was great!

October 11, 2017 at 9:36 pm
  • Reply Allyse

This is such great advice, especially about having inappropriate content on your social media pages

October 12, 2017 at 4:41 am
    • Reply mevstheodds

Thank you!

October 12, 2017 at 3:54 pm
  • Reply Briana

“Weaknesses are just as important as strengths.” THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! Always turn your weaknesses into strengths! <3 great post love!

October 12, 2017 at 3:53 pm
    • Reply mevstheodds

Thank you!! It really is important and it’s something many people forget

October 12, 2017 at 3:54 pm
  • Reply Willow

I made a rule from day 1 of starting my blog that I would never post anything on my blog or on social media while drinking. I know I would have made some silly mistakes if I didn’t make that rule!

October 12, 2017 at 7:03 pm
    • Reply mevstheodds

Haha that’s a very good rule to follow!

October 12, 2017 at 7:12 pm
  • Reply Bryant

Great insight on branding. I’m a Marketing Major, so I study all of this in school and will be doing it for a job one day, but I am still learning how to create my personal brand. Thanks for the tips!

October 13, 2017 at 3:42 am
  • Reply Caitlin Houston

great post, very informative!!

October 14, 2017 at 4:52 pm
  • Reply Nicole

I can never read enough on how to brand myself and stand out and these tips were great!

October 16, 2017 at 9:50 pm